Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"Has the potter no right over the clay..."

This isn't a medical update or anything. I just thought I would share another "real" moment that happened today. One of those moments that makes you stop and step back and think... hmmm I wonder if that wasn't just a coincidence?

I have an amazing little girl who helps to constantly remind me how great my God is. Usually she does this by just being her and coaxing the biggest smiles from our faces. And we could really use the smiles. However this time was slightly different.

Marissa and I have been noticing how much Emma can absorb. So we have also been trying to make it a point to read the Bible to her as often as we can. Lucky for us she seems to be liking it. Today Emma came up to me and said, "I wanna read bout Jesus." She proceeded to hand me the little Gideon New Testament that we gave to her a while back. She climbed up into my lap as I opened it at random and started to read. Not a second after I started Emma interrupted, "You read about Jesus?!" as if she was making sure I heard her when she had requested it before. I assured her I would make sure the story was about Jesus and went on. I just happened to open to John chapter 9.
1As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. 2And his disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" 3Jesus answered, "It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.
Now it would be hard to equate me reading this passage to luck or coincidence. I know my wife had been clinging to John 9:3 and a great verse of encouragement. The thing about that is I didn't realize that verse she loved was John 9:3 (sounds funny but let me explain). I knew she liked the phrase, ...that the works of God might be displayed in him." Now she had probably told me the reference before but I didn't remember it. I just stumbled upon John 9 since my Emma wanted to read about Jesus.

I froze when I read the first few verses. How great is that?! How difficult is that to swallow at the same time? I have been apart of the crowd most of my life that loves to think of God as giving us good and great things and Allowing us to endure the hard things. But like it often is my image of God was one thing and who God has always been was another. That is a hard thing to grasp. So wait... this man in John 9 was blind solely so God could use him at that moment. Who knows what this man had to endure during his life. And it all was so that he could be an instrument to give glory and honor to God.

Marissa and I have wanted answers. Why would God allow my son to go through all this? But that isn't the right question is it? I mean if we are going to ask the question we should ask it correctly... Why would God cause my son to go through all this? I don't typically like to think of my God that way. But what does the passage say?
3Jesus answered, "It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.
Exodus 4:11 states the fact as well.
11Then the LORD said to him, "Who has made man’s mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD?
The Bible says that the Lord causes people to have what we call handicaps. I am like all others out there that doesn't understand God. I know He is sovereign.
Romans 9:20-21
20But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?
I also know...
Romans 8:28
"...that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."
It is an amazing thing to have a God that is working in every situation. I'd say I don't understand why He is doing what He is doing but is that really true? I want this special extra solution to the hardship we are in. I dare to say to God that, "There better be a reason for all this." And their may be some specific outcome that could come from Chi's suffering. And more than likely if I had the chance to ask God why this happened to little baby Malachi He would say, "that the works of God might be displayed in him."

That is not to say I am trying to insinuate that miraculously Chi will be healed of all his infirmities like the man in John 9. He could be healed if the Lord would want that, and shame on me in my moments of doubt thinking that outcome isn't even an option. Healed or sick, present with us or present with the Lord Chi is for God's glory and honor. This life is all for His glory and honor. I know this. The Bible clearly states it, and I still end up getting distracted and losing my focus.

I pray that the Lord will use my family to bring Him glory and not that the Lord would be glorified in spite of my family.





4 comments:

  1. I love these moments! As an outsider looking in, I love seeing how He is changing and molding your family through this. Man it is painful at times *many times* and as difficult as that part is...to witness you embracing it allowing Him to work...is beautiful and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good and heartfelt. It is so hard to work out in our heads what we think GOD is doing with our children, when they suffer. We reason, rationalize, make deals, beg, plead...but in the end HE has HIS own purposes, in mind. I have struggled with this for the last six years, myself. Our prayers for HIS will and for your strength...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true, John. It works both ways, too! We strongly want to be used by God in a certain way and believe God has laid it on our hearts, and yet God has not yet given us that ministry. We have to believe that what God DOES allow us to do and to suffer for His sake is what will bring Him the most glory... whether it looks to us to be a lot or a little...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post John! The theology and concepts in Romans is something I struggle with and think about often. As a result of some hard things that have happened in my life....I've never been more convinced that our pain and suffering is purposeful... and for His fame and glory. Grasping that and figuring out how to live in light of that has been a journey for me...and I'm still not there! Love that God is using the life of Malachi to draw you closer to Himself and to make His name known! What an amazing thing! So cool that Malachi can be used in this way!
    Praying that God would be near to you all today...

    ReplyDelete