Monday, January 18, 2010

930 update

So it's not atrial flutter. It has the appearance of atrial flutter on
a rhythm strip with the exception of a few irregular beats. If it was
true atrial flutter, the cardioversion would have worked. But it
didn't, so it's not.

His rate is down in the 170-190 range now after an increased dose of
beta blocker (atenolol). His blood pressure is still fine and he is on
room air (21%) oxygen with sats in the high 80s. I'm happy to report
that he is SLEEPING. I'm sure he was awake most of the night and am
thankful his sedation meds kicked in so he can rest. No extubation
today. Hopefully we can get his heart rate back in order and have his
breathing tube removed tomorrow.

If not atrial flutter, what is it? Good question. Hr obviously has
some sort of irregular SVT and possibly "chaotic atrial rhythm". What
this means long term, not sure. What does CAR consist of? Not sure. I
haven't had time to do much research bedside. I'm content looking at a
peaceful baby for now.

1 comment:

  1. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I know this is hard, please email me if you need anything.
    Hugs,
    Crystal and Eva

    ReplyDelete