Sunday, February 21, 2010

a good reminder

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
(Romans 8:28)

I was very grateful this morning to be able to attend the worship service at our Indiana home church. I have to specify "Indiana" because Willow Creek back in Iowa will always, always have a special place in my heart. Anyway, it was great to see people and interact with those praying for our family. It's nice to know we haven't been forgotten. I know I know, there are tons of people who daily check in to see how things are going and who daily keep our little man and our family in their prayers, but it is very very easy to feel alone and isolated in this journey at times. Even for John and I as a couple, if we don't purpose to keep lines of communication open it is easy to withdraw and try to do this on our own--it doesn't work well that way! I know because I've tried.

Anywho, back to the service. I think God knew that I was going to be in attendance at Calvary Baptist this morning because there were a few things that I really needed to hear. I was quickly reminded that there is power behind God's word. His will for my life is not just wishful thinking, but rather my life is woven together in such a way that will ultimately bring glory and honor to Himself. Not only that, but for those who have given their lives to God, the Bible says that ALL things (and with God, "all" means "all") work together for good.

There have been times in my life, especially in the past four months where things haven't looked pretty. Things have been hard. I have been stretched. I have grown. I have felt small victories, only to be met with another huge setback. I have seen horrible pain in the face of my little baby. I have seen Malachi look at me with desperation as if he was saying, "Mommy... help... please" at times when he has been intubated (unable to make a sound) and too sick for me to even hold in my arms. Those times of heartbreak have just as frequently been met with a good, loving God who is working all these things to bring Himself glory. Not once during this time has God not been on His throne. Not once have my circumstances or Malachi's condition been apart from God's control. Not once has God left our side. He has promised to always be with us.

I am content in trusting that God is true to His Word and joyful in the fact that He will never, ever leave us or forsake us. I am not sure how much more heartbreak this mama can endure, but I KNOW that I wouldn't have made it this far without the love, patience, gentleness, and grace which He has so abundantly supplied during this very, VERY trying time in the Sharbaugh household.

2 comments:

  1. Your faith during the trying, strectching times is a very beautiful thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to have a moment of insight. It was such an isolating thing for us to not be in church for 30 or so weekends in a row while Rudy was in ICU. Know we are reading and praying for you as we know something of the battle you're writing about. Despite the chaos around you, I'm so grateful you recognize God's goodness and reign. Cling close to him!

    Rolf and Trish

    PS--one comment on home nursing care (last post). Things may be structured differently in your state, but be sure you know what you're health plan covers before you start. We had one shady provider who was going to book us for FT care saying we were covered when we weren't. We would have ended up paying for huge amounts of care when the whole thing got sorted out months later. Just one of those practical things that popped in my mind. I'm glad you seem to be able to graciously ask for you need--that has to be clarified sometimes.

    ReplyDelete