Wednesday, February 3, 2010

14 weeks already?

About to call it a night. Bear with me. It's been a crazy week.

So, Malachi was definitely agitated and uncomfortable after surgery. Who would have thought the post-op appearance of a paralyzed little boy just hours from open-heart surgery would be easier on the eyes than a freshly trached 14 week old who could use some more sedation... I definitely pushed for enough sedation and pain meds to keep him comfortable. I know I would want as much meds as I could take if I were in his situation.

The plan is to just keep him stable and let him recover for a week or so. Hopefully they will start feeds tomorrow and he can begin to be weaned from a respiratory standpoint. We don't know at this point how much additional support Malachi will require. Only time will tell. Worst case scenario, he will need a home vent. That would take a 6-week hospitalization from the time they switch him to a home vent. We definitely want him home before then!!

Oh, and before the day shift gals left, they were all checking out and doting on our handsome baby boy... that makes me one happy mama.

for the rest of you, sorry, you will all have to wait until tomorrow ;) (i forgot my camera. really, marissa!?!)

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear he is resting and getting better. I am defiantly thinking about him and praying for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he can rest well for the week and so can mommy, I can tell you really need it. I can not wait to see his face all tape free.
    Hugs,
    Crystal and Eva

    ReplyDelete