Saturday, February 13, 2010

forgot my camera

Yesterday when I popped in to see Malachi before we officially started our "vacation". He was snoozing in his swing! (disregard the phone... it's obviously seen better days)...

So I had a mini-meltdown in Malachi's room today. I have not adjusted well to the new unit. It just seems like a lot of information has slipped through the cracks and I feel like I have to figure out what the nurses know about Malachi and what they NEED to know that hasn't been passed on through report at shift change. For instance, when I stopped in today, his oxygen support was at 30% and he was sating at 94%. I went out to the nurses station to see if someone could turn it down and they just looked at me like I was crazy. When Malachi's nurse came in to his room a while later, I told her that I had someone turn it down and that his sats were only supposed to be 75 to 85% per cardiology specifications. She was told at report that it was 75 to 95%. I started talking about everything that Malachi had been through in his 15 week history and she had no idea of most of it. Really!?!? So, that kind of sparked a whole gob of things I'm not happy with and I started crying. I very much like to be IN THE LOOP in regard to Malachi's care and what changes are made and why things were changed. I liked being able to look through daily progress notes in his chart and see what orders were made. I liked that the NNPs knew I appreciated a phone call to go over all the info discussed at rounds when I couldn't be in during the morning. I understand that there are parents who aren't as involved with their child's care, but we are NOT that type of parents and I wanted them to know that. Hopefully, we will be able to meet with everyone currently involved in Malachi's care at family rounds on Tuesday. Hopefully, before then, we will start getting more phone calls during the day regarding any changes made when the NP rounds and that sort of thing. Time will tell.

Pictures from our mini-vacation will come at a later date... the hotel wireless connection doesn't have a very good upload speed. Just this one picture alone took WAY too long.

3 comments:

  1. Its is GREAT you are so involved, as parents we have to be if we want the best care for our kids. I am sorry everything is so hard with the move. I hope things get better soon, and you all enjoy your mini vaction.
    Hugs,
    Crystal and Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL!!! Tell them you expect better! He's your baby-and you have expectations of communication. Hopefully your tuesday meeting will be helpful. Please try to rest and have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it is any comfort...we have ALL been there and fight right alone side you! The training I went through on Friday...was for things such as this. FAMILY CENTERED CARE...I will be speaking for all of us at these engagements! Hold your own momma...don't feel like you are being difficult, that's why God gave YOU to Malachi...to love and care for him like no one else could. :0)
    Hope you are enjoying the mini...

    ReplyDelete