Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Transport--The Process

So while Malachi was snoozing in PICU the other night, I was trying to figure out the best way to load all his "stuff" up in the double stroller. Here's what I think will work best for us..

Step 1: Put battery on footrest of the back seat.
Step 2: Place ventilator, making sure that the side is free for proper airflow.
Step 3: Place suction machine.
Step 4: Place Pulse Oximeter (tells heart rate and oxygen saturation).
Steps 5 and 6: Place cardiac/apnea monitor (will alarm for rates too low and too high and if Malachi stops breathing) and oxygen monitor (tells us how much oxygen support he is getting through his tank).
Step 7: Place car seat.
Steps 8 and 9: Hang oxygen tank and emergency bag on back of stroller.
Step 10: If switching Malachi to a different ventilator, I would first run a vent check to make sure there were no leaks. I would also need to make sure the oxygen flowing through the ventilator tubes reads appropriately before connecting Malachi to the machine. Oh, and I would need to add a humidivent (shown below). This just attaches to his tubing to act as a filter/humidifier for the air blowing into his lungs.

I think that's all. I may have left a few little things out, but that's the main jist.

No comments:

Post a Comment