Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Frustrated Momma

When I got to the hospital this morning, Malachi was laying so he was facing away from the nurses station where his nurse was seated. I went in to his room and found that his face was covered in snot and he was crying and uncomfortable in a poopy diaper. It wasn't horribly poopy, but poopy nonetheless. He was crying his silent cry. This unit in the hospital should know better than anyone that kids with trachs quite frankly don't make much noise. They can't get your attention the normal baby way by wailing. He needs lots of suctioning--that's common knowledge. I just get frustrated when he's not checked on as often as I feel he should be, especially since people are being PAID to care for him and he's obviously still sick enough to be in the hospital.

My one last rant for the day regarding Malachi's care. Also when I got in, I realized there was an extra connector piece on his ventilator tubing. That extra piece is used for breathing treatments (albuterol, etc.). He has NEVER had these types of treatments. I asked the Infant ICU resident about it who replied she was unaware of any treatments. I ALSO asked Malachi's nurse and she was unaware of anything. So, I didn't think too much about it. Then later on, the RT came in to start a treatment. I said, "No. He's never had breathing treatments and I was told he doesn't have any." She looked at me and then checked the wall for Malachi's name and then left. She returned with a second RT who very sternly informed me that he gets treatments every eight hours. Sure enough, they were started yesterday at 5:00. WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED OF THIS? Why did I ask two people who specifically are directly involved with his care and they were unable to tell me that he was getting treatments.

We will be speaking with the unit manager because on multiple occasions we have made it clear that we want to be intimately involved with Malachi's care. We want to know any and all changes to his medications/treatments. We want to know of any upcoming procedures and their results. WE WANT TO KNOW! When John briefly spoke with our nurse about the whole ordeal, she passingly said something to the effect of, "Oh yeah, there is that little note up by his bed..." Both John and I's cell phone numbers have also been posted on the whiteboard in the room for easy access. Unfortunately, this has never seemed to help. I should not have to ask the staff if my child is on any new medications. I should be immediately informed of these things.

Just frustrated and ready to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment