Monday, March 22, 2010

Midnight Update

I was at the hospital all evening. When I left around 12:15, he was still in SVT. They had increased his procainamide drip and will see how he does. If he has not converted in four hours, they will take another blood sample to check the level in his bloodstream. If the level is still low, they will increase the amount again. They will continue this every four hours until he has converted out of his SVT into somewhat of a normal rhythm. When I left, his heart rate was bouncing anywhere from 90 to 190 beats per minute. Pictures will have to wait until the morning when I've got some sleep behind me.

Right now, the plan is for him to keep being increased on the procainamide until he converts out of SVT. When that happens, they will begin weaning his atenolol and adding on the flecainide. From what I've read, we should see in a matter of hours/days how his little heart will respond to this medication.

We will be heading to the hospital tomorrow morning to see how things are going and we plan to meet with the cardiology team as well as the pulmonary team who is following him. John and I want some sort of a tangible plan as to where we go from here and what we need to do to get home.

Good night.

2 comments: