Sunday, March 14, 2010

quick post

Just a quick post this evening. I've got to be at the hospital by 6:00 am tomorrow to start my 24-hour shift, so I need to GET TO BED!

A couple of not so good things in the realm of Malachi is that he's developed a crazy diaper rash turned yeast infection--not pretty and also painful for his tush. Also, he was tugging at his ears a lot last evening (which I would kind of consider "normal behavior" for him). He had a new nurse and she was thinking he was messing with his left ear enough that he might have an ear infection. She had the doctor take a look at it and we're now on ANOTHER antibiotic to try and fight the ear infection. Also, lately Malachi has been requiring a lot of extra oxygen both asleep and awake--even up to 55% at times. (before this, he has mainly just required some extra help when he sleeps). The pulmonary NP ordered an echo of his heart to be sure he looked fine from a heart standpoint because his lungs seemingly looked okay. We were also reminded today that he will need to only require LESS than 40% to be discharged to home. Come on Malachi!

Like I said, tomorrow is my 24-hour shift. Because I'm planning on being there ALL day, I wanted to try to catch up with some of the different departments handling Malachi's care and upcoming discharge. I should be able to catch cardiology and pulmonology and I should be able to meet with the social worker helping us with all of the paperwork and outpatient follow ups and also the woman helping to get all of our home care nursing situated. I'm really hoping to also be able to meet with neurology. Apparently they had stopped by a couple weeks ago, but neither John or myself was there to speak with them. I really want them to stop the seizure medication that they have him on (he's still vomiting with each dose and it's been two months) as I really do not think it is doing anything for him. I know they want to wait until he's six months old, but I don't want his little body to have horrible withdrawal after being on it longer than he needs. He did have legitimate seizures a while back, but that is when we were unable to keep is oxygen sats over 50%. It's bound to happen when your brain doesn't get the oxygen it requires though.

I definitely want to end with a good note! Malachi was awake for most of our visit today. He LOVES his big sister! It's amazing to watch her with him. She's obviously intimidated by some things, but she loves touching his face or rubbing his head or playing with his feet. I think she gets more smiles out of Chi than anybody! She likes to sing to him and tell me what he's "saying" with his hands--Emma is picking up on her sign language pretty well! Anywho, he hit a "normal baby" developmental milestone today! He actually was reaching for and grabbing his toys. He doesn't do well with it sitting up, but if you have him laying on his side so he doesn't have to work against gravity so much, he actually does it!!

Okay, that's all for now. Wish me luck on my shift!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, Marissa! Sweet boy with toys! So cute...I hope your shift is a good learning experience for you to prepare for the future!

    ReplyDelete