Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Two weeks (11/10)

Two weeks.

Just a month ago, no one would have thought that two weeks, fourteen little days, would be such a huge milestone for us and little Chi. Unfortunately there was a bit of a problem for him at the hospital today. While the nurse was changing his dressing on his central line (the nice, secure access point for administering medication and fluid as well as drawing blood), the catheter came out. Because I get so queasy with all things IV-related, I was thankful that I needed to excuse myself to go pump. When I had returned, they had placed a temporary IV in his scalp (severely grosses me out) to make sure he was still receiving his prostaglandins (the meds that keep his heart working as it needs to before surgery). The nurse practitioners were called in so that they could insert a PICC line. She tried to get it in on both arms, but each one was unsuccessful. They now needed to call surgery to have them go in and surgically take care of the problem. They called us at about 8:30 to get verbal consent to put him under general anesthetic. Apparently, he was away from his bed for about an hour. Everything went well and they have since weaned him down off the ventilator quite a bit. At this time, he is starting to stir a bit more and the nurse is going to give him a little bit of morphine to ward of some of the pain he is feeling at this time.

Over the past couple days, John and I have received comments from our nurses and other staff within good ol' Module 1. They had just commented on the fact that John and I actually get along with one another and that we act more like friends than married people (which in and of itself is a kind of random thing to say)... Needless to say, we took that as a compliment. I love my husband and we truly are each other's best friend. I couldn't imagine going through this trial without him by my side, and for that I am thankful. Many of the moms in our module are going through this alone and I could not fathom how that feels. Not only do I have my amazing husband, but I have a Savior whom I can lean on as we endure this current and momentary trial in our lives. How great is our God, faithful and true!

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I'm sure you wouldn't recognize my name...I'm Aaron Lawson's mom...and mom in law to Holly! I just found out about your precious Malachi by Holly's facebook. I'll be praying.

    Sometimes you just don't know why God does things the way He does...like going to China. I just know that in my life He has NEVER EVER failed me. I have failed HIM in so many ways but HE is faithful. Sometime you might be able to look back and say, "OH,...THAT'S why!"

    We will keep you and your precious family in our prayers!
    Beth Bower

    ReplyDelete
  2. janice/janicen11j on CS forumNovember 12, 2009 at 9:47 AM

    Marissa, I have read your blog with my heart breaking for you and your family. I am so glad to hear of your strong faith. This is such a trial and I know the grace of God is what will get you thru this.

    I pray that Chi's surgery goes very well today and the Lord protects him and guides the Dr.s.

    I have a feeling for what you are going thru. My DD had CHF due to cardiomyopathy and 5 wks, 1 yr. At 2 yrs, she was extremely critically ill and eventually received a heart tranplant. We spent weeks in the ICU and rehab and also RMD house. I did the same thing with pumping as it was the best thing I could do for her. I pumped the first 13 months.

    Know I'm praying for you and find me on the forum if you ever want to talk.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete