Wednesday, November 18, 2009

11/18/2009


Today was a good day (for me anyway). I was able to spend the morning with Emerson, and while she took a 2 hr and 45 min afternoon nap, I was able to get in a 2-hr nap of my own! When John got home to spend some time with Emerson, I headed off to spend my evening at the hospital. When I arrived at the hospital, I was pleasantly surprised to see Mr. Malachi with his eyes partly open and the ability to make small movements. He is no longer on his paralytic medication! During my visit, he seemed to track my movements with his eyes and he seemed to be able to hear me. I was also blessed to be able to feel his little (big!) hands gripping around my finger. I know it's not much, but we'll take anything we can get right now!

From here on out, they are hoping to have him back in the NICU by the weekend, or at the latest by Monday (11/23). He will then be in recovery mode for anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks; it just depends on how quickly he bounces back from the open heart surgery. We know that he will still need to have the choanal atresia repair to open up his nasal passages (very important as babies are primarily nasal breathers) and recover from that before we will be able to take him home. At this point, it is still unclear about how impaired his vision, hearing, and growth will be. I will obviously continue with the updates.


My sis-in-law started this online community notepad to start a list of all the people praying for Baby Malachi. If you are praying and have yet to sign the wall (or put your initials), please add yourself and your location! We are learning that the power of prayer is an amazing thing and Chi's story has spread all over the place! http://etherpad.com/QmUzFnJqwV


Oh, and if anyone has a Sam's Club card John would LOVE the pretzel chips that they sell (I don't know a brand or how much they cost, but they are his new favorite and we don't have a membership)... it would be a great surprise!

3 comments:

  1. i think at the end he was winking at mommy :) so happy to see him somewhat awake it make me tear up on your videos but it's nice to see...thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. The prayers that everyone are saying for Malachi are so glorious and shows how many people believe in the power of prayer. Your son,even with all the tubes in his body, is so handsome!!! He has great parents to be raising him. Your love for him is so obvious in your writings. Thanks for sharing your journey. I look forward to reading about Chi's recovery. Keep up your positive vibes, they show in Chi's new life and all the challenges he will face, but with your strength and God's support, your family will survive. We love you.
    Aunt DeRaye and Uncle Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. How precious! He definitely winked at you! :) Glad he is recovering well.

    ReplyDelete