Saturday, November 28, 2009

11/27/2009 One Month Birthday!!


Well, Happy Thanksgiving!

It's not exactly how we were planning on spending our first Thanksgiving--dividing our time between family and the hospital. I came to the hard realization that Chi doesn't really seem to be (for me anyway) a part of our family. Don't get me wrong, I love him more than words can even express, but our life is VERY segmented right now. We have a family of three at home (we haven't brought him home yet) and a family of three at the hospital (Emma isn't allowed to visit). One day we will all be together under the same roof... one day. Nonetheless, the time we spent at the hospital was just as precious to us as the time we were able to spend with John's side of the family. Unfortunately, it will probably be the same way during the Christmas holiday.

Malachi is still having some random arrythmias. He is currently on two different types of medications for his heart since the arrythmias began. These have obviously been the main concern the past few days. We haven't had a chance to sit down with the NICU docs and ask questions regarding the lab not being able to grow the cells properly in order for them to accurately get the information that they need for the chromosome analysis. Surely, three separate occasions should validate a cause for concern. One thing I've found online (granted, this is just through google searching and even then I was completely unsure as to what words I should be using within the search) is mitochondrial disease. Again, I haven't looked into it a whole lot, but I think it might be an option to put forth to the docs. Worst thing they can do is say, "You don't know what you're talking about." I'm sure I'll feel stupid for the moment, but I'd feel MUCH better knowing that I had said something.

We have decided to use a lot of our Christmas money to buy a decent digital SLR camera to capture the moments that we will have with Mr. Malachi. If you have any tips or pointers for us as we seriously look at things before making our purchase PLEASE leave a comment or email us at marissasharbaugh@gmail.com. We would love any advice.

A few random pictures I had yet to post:

Mr. Malachi with scalp IV in place. (of all the IVs, the scalp one weirds me out the most!)

One of the nurses brought in a light up thing that moves and plays music--he REALLY seems to enjoy it!

Some lovin' from daddy.

On Thanksgiving, I got to hold Chi for TWO HOURS!! Here's a shot from above. You can see the scalp IV again, but he grasped my finger basically the entire time. The next picture you can see how he just cuddled right in and slept peacefully in mommy's arms--a wonderful gift from God.


When we got to the hospital on Thanksgiving, this is how we found him--hooked up to the ECG monitors.

Another pic of him with the light/noise/movement thing.

And last but not least, a couple pics I was able to snap of miss emma playing with her cousins. The first one is her jumping off the stairs onto my lap and the second is her with the twins (she is closest in age to them of all her cousins--only a 6 month difference. I think she liked being the "older" cousin for a change!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know that was the best gift ever to be able to hold your little one on Thanksgiving. What a beautiful thing to be grateful for. It looks like Malachi loved being with mommy.
    I just had a baby 6 months ago, and bought a Nikon D300 and I love it. It is very easy to use, but takes the most amazing pictures I have ever taken. ;) Hope that helps.
    Also, the music thing that he likes so much is the Rainforest musical aquarium. You can pick one up at any baby store, or target. We use them a lot in the NICU, and I use one at home. Children are drawn to that toy, more than any other one I have seen. It is very bizarre, but wonderful that it soothes them so well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sweetie. YOu all are going through so much. Happy Thanksgiving and I hope it get s ton better. I love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariah had a scalp IV when in NICU. I agree, it creeped me out more than anything else. When it was placed Steve called me at home so I could prepare myself for it. :) Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete