Wednesday, June 16, 2010

#6

I grew up in a family that wasn’t all that religious. Don’t get me wrong, they are good people. They believe in the Lord, would help someone in need, and for the most part live by His word. Church has never been an every week occurrence. We were required to go to Sunday school and confirmation class, but that was it. Church was for Easter and Christmas. Prayer was never said.

I am now 32 years old (with a birthday February 25 *same as me*), married with 2 kids, Grace-3 years old and Calvin-21 months old, and could count on two hands how many times I had gone to church in the last 12 years: when I got married, sister got married, brother got married, Grace was baptized, Calvin was baptized-you get the idea. My Bible had not been touched since the day that I received it at confirmation.

After reading about Malachi and the strength that your family had, all due to the Lord, it inspired me to go to church. I longed for the comfort and strength that you were getting from the Lord. After reading your posts, it made me wonder what the purpose of my life was. Your posts made me step back from myself and realize how sad, lonely, and empty I was. I had been working so hard for so long for “stuff” that, in actuality, means absolutely nothing. I wanted what you had-the strength, the comfort, the purpose, what I always believed to be self-confidence, but in actuality is just faith.

The first time I went to church, about four months ago, the message was One More Step. He told us how the average person needs 8-10 exposures/steps with religion before they desire to find the Lord. He was urging all of us to be one step for someone else. If all Christians could work together and continue being steps for others, they would all add up and we may help more people climb those 8-10 steps and find the Lord.

The strength and sheer belief in the Lord that your family and Malachi have shown over the last 7 months have been many of my steps. I now do not miss church on Sunday and neither do Grace or Calvin. I have started reading the Bible and even have favorite Bible verses that keep me going. My husband is not in the same place as I when it comes to being a Christian, but he is coming around, slowly starting to pray and go to church with us. (He will do anything for those 2 kids.) Now that I have found the Lord, I am feeling more at peace with my life. I feel comforted and not alone. I am finally finding what you had found long ago. It is fun to see Grace want to pray and to be able to say the Lord’s prayer. I think of you guys, with thanks, when she, out of nowhere, tells me “God made those trees. God made everything.” Calvin, with his little hands smashed together, will not let Grandpa or Grandma eat until “Pray, pray, pray, Papa, Grandma pray.”

I am so fortunate that I was drawn to your post on the CS forums. Without having “known” you or Malachi, I would not know the Lord, nor would Grace or Calvin have known of His presence. Seven months ago, I never would have even thought about taking time out of my life to pack food for children in Honduras, participate in Meals-on-Wheels, or give back. I now know that I have a purpose to be someone else’s step, to give to others, and to live my life according to his Word. I am so happy with who I have started to become over the last four months.

I have shed many, many tears for you and Malachi over the last seven months and you have continually been in my prayers. I will continue to pray for the Lord to grant you peace and help you get through this life so that you may see Malachi again in the future. I ask that you pray for me-yeah, I know, it sounds selfish to ask someone who has lost a child and is suffering the greatest loss of all to pray for me- but, I ask that you pray that I continue to keep opening my heart to the Lord and allowing him into my heart and letting him be in control of my life and trusting in Him.

You might not have been able to be missionaries in China, but you have been spreading His Word right here in your own backyard. Thank you; you have given me eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment