Wednesday, April 21, 2010

a sense of "normalcy"

I hesitated as I wrote the title for this post because, really, nothing in my life feels "normal" right now. We will get there though. I am sure of it.

God's Word states...
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. (Isaiah 26:3)

This verse has been on my mind and heart a lot lately. Unfortunately, for the last few days it had NOT been an encouraging verse. Instead, it has been very, very, very convicting. God finally used our little miss Emma to really bring it home. The last few days she has just been much more rebellious and much more disobedient. Throwing fits and tantrums (thankfully we weren't out and about). Just not her norm. It occurred to me the night before last that God was using Emma as a visual display of my rebellion and disobedience to Him. Even though I wasn't outwardly throwing a fit, inside I was harboring bitterness and resentment and outright distrust. There were many nights of crying myself to sleep. There was no prayer. There was no Bible study. There was no fellowship with God. My mind was NOT stayed on Him; therefore, I was not kept in perfect peace. You would think after five months of Malachi, I would be learning very up close and personally how vital and appropriate it is to simply trust God with my life. Just trust.

Feel free to leave a comment with a verse that you find as an encouragement in times of trials, suffering, and moments of disbelief. I will add them to my index card collection and use it as a tool to keep my mind stayed upon Him--my Sustainer.

Jesus states (in Matthew 6:25-34)...
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? [Marissa, are you listening?]
"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith [er, Marissa]? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them [Amen!]. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

So, I seek after Him. I pray for the strength to endure the path He has set before me knowing it won't be easy. It will be very, very hard. I can only do it if my mind is stayed on Him. All that His Word calls me to be I can only accomplish in and through Him. So I will seek. I will study. I will pray. I will trust. He has promised to give me the grace I need for each moment because He saved me and wants to use scared, weak, faltering me to bring glory to His name. Amazing.

(oh, and nothing is really "normal" right now. chi is still in the hospital and we are separated as a family, but i have peace and for a Christian, peace should be the norm. that's as close as i get right now)

5 comments:

  1. May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen Heb.13:19-21

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zephaniah is an amazing book... 3 short chapters, all about the rebellion of God's chosen and the punishment they had brought on themselves. But Chapter 3 starts to take a different tone, reminding them that even in the midst of turmoil and strife, God is right there with them, and even more than that:
    (v. 17) The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.
    I take great delight that my God is quieting me with His love, and rejoicing over me with singing... He cares so much for His children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we were in the hospital struggling with our daughter I found this verse (what I did and it helped, was read 1 verse in Psalms and Proverbs every night. I let God guide me in the verse he wanted me to choose, and very early he showed me this verse that I held onto)
    Psalms 73:26
    My heart and my flesh may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
    Every night before bed I would tell her "Taras heart and flesh may fail, but God is the strength of Taras heart and her portion forever.". We still say this over her nightly.
    Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny that this was the blogpost that I read this morning, because I had just journaled some verses in my own index file that are encouraging to me
    "For the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake, But my lovingkindness will not be removed from you, and my covenant of peace will not be shaken," says the Lord who has compassion on you. Isaiah 54:10
    No one is like you, O Lord; you are great, and your name is mighty in power. Who should not revere you, O King of the nations? This is your due. Among all the wise men of the nations, and in all kingdoms (or hospitals), there is no one like you. Jer 10:6-7

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. – John 14:27-28

    The LORD is my light and my salvation;
    whom shall I fear?
    The LORD is the stronghold of my life;
    of whom shall I be afraid? – Psalm 27:1

    O Most High, when I am afraid,
    I put my trust in you.
    In God, whose word I praise,
    in God I trust; I am not afraid; - Psalm 56: 2-4

    I can do all things through him who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:13

    ReplyDelete