Sunday, April 11, 2010

Craving Routine

Right now, the only routine in my life is that of Malachi's medication and feeding schedule. It's wearing me down. Our nursing schedule is inconsistent to say the least. Therefore, so is my sleep. It seems like the general outside opinion for what would be best for us regarding day or night nursing help is that we would benefit most from day help since we have Emerson at home during the day too to take care of. Frankly, I personally think I benefit most from a good night's rest in the same bed as my husband. A few hours here or there on the couch or recliner between starting and stopping his feeding pump and suctioning just isn't cutting it.

I'm learning I can handle Malachi and Emerson together during the day by myself while John is at work. Don't get me wrong, I won't turn down a little help during the day every now and then. But, right now, Emma and Chi both take afternoon naps. There is peace. There is quiet. At least for almost two hours of my day. Bliss.

Also, it's just weird being here during the day with a nurse. Especially if it's a male nurse. Weird.

All that to say, pray that we get consistent night nursing help. Fast.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! My friend Ashley has been telling me about you guys for quite awhile, I'm glad I finally can check out your blog! You've been through quite the journey! I have a son, Micah, who was born in late August, that has a trach as well. He spent 80 days in the NICU... Not nearly as chaotic as your time, but we know trach life. Who is your nursing company? We already are on our second company, since the first one wasn't very well organized. Feel free to split your hours between day and night, if that's what works best for you guys. If you're not absolutely hooked on your nursing company, look for a new one.
    If you ever have any questions or anything, just let me know. I looked you up through Ashley on facebook. Also, there's a great website if you haven't found it yet... www.tracheostomy.com They have a message board with tons of families that are going through some of the same thing you are. I hope you guys get settled in and you can get some rest. God bless!
    Brittany Hartman
    www.littlemicah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete