Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry


My brother-in-law Brian thought I could use a small respite from our current situation and invited me to join him last night at the IU game. I wish I could say this post was about how well Indiana played last night, but I don’t want to be a huge liar. A couple of friends of his (sorry to Brian’s friends for completely blanking on their names) carpooled with us to the game and it happened to come out during our conversations on the trip down that I had a son in Riley Children’s hospital. We were chatting in a restaurant that we stopped at for quick bite. Well, apparently I was loud enough so that people in the booths around me could hear me. I wasn’t trying to be loud but anyone who knows me knows that I probably got loud without trying. We all got up to leave and were making our way to the van and a lady stopped one of Brian’s friends and said that she had over heard us talking and she would pray for my family and baby Chi. When I got in the van he told me what she had said. It reiterated to me that my wife and I have a ministry even now. God has provided us a way to reach others that we would have never reached before. I believe God has been preparing us for ministry but I don't think we should narrow it down like we as Christians tend to. Yeah, we thought China was going to be our ministry and maybe that is still in our future. We also thought maybe our ministry would just be to our son and it definitely will be. But we also have this ministry to others through this blog. We have a ministry to the hospital staff and the other families in the NICU. We have a ministry to both Marissa’s and my direct family. And lately it’s been made very clear that we have a ministry to total strangers that happen to listen in on our conversations.

That leads to another thing that came to my attention from that moment in the restaurant. How many times do I talk in public and say frivolous insignificant rubbish and don’t think about who is listening? If we just thought about what we were saying and decided to say godly edifying things how many more people could we reach without really even trying. That’s not to say we shouldn't go out of our way to try to reach out to strangers, but oh how I really wander how often some one is listening in and hears me say something about my Lord and then moments later they hear me say something that doesn't glorify or bring honor to him. Wow, so a simple trip to a basketball game turned out to be a lesson from my Savior. He has been doing that so much lately, teaching me in ways I was never expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment