Wednesday, May 12, 2010

quick update - transfusion

I've been running around all over the place it seems today! Emma and I made it up to rounds this morning on the PICU floor, so that was good. You should have seen Emma all decked out in her adult size gloves and isolation gown and mask. I'd show you, but I forgot to take my camera. You'll just have to take my word for it. After rounds, we headed to John's office for a quick bite to eat. I'm updating quickly while I'm at my in-laws as they will be watching miss emerson this afternoon. Then back up to the hospital for mama.

So they dont' REALLY know why Malachi is requiring so much oxygen support. When I left the hospital earlier, he was still requiring an FiO2 support of 80%. Even with the 80% support, he was still many times NOT maintaining his saturations about 75% (okay range for him is 75-85%). It doesn't seem to be a secretion issue as his sats do not improve after suctioning. They are thinking (after reviewing his chest x-ray) that it is most likely a pneumonia-type problem and have begun him on a couple courses of antibiotics for treatment. His lungs showed to be pretty wet and there may have been a slight collapse on one side. They may try to increase some of his ventilator settings, or they may switch him to a different ventilator altogether so that they have more control over more settings. They also may try an extra dose of lasix to get rid of some of the extra fluid in his little body.

The PICU resident just called and asked for consent regarding a blood transfusion. His hematocrit level was only 30. For his heart condition, a safe hematocrit level is 36. Hopefully the transfusion will allow him to easier circulate oxygen throughout his body.

That's all I've got for now. Headed back up to the hospital to keep and eye on things and talk to a few more doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment