Sunday, April 24, 2011

Because of Him.


 17 Now when Jesus came, he found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb four days. 18 Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles off, 19 and many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to console them concerning their brother. 20 So when Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went and met him, but Mary remained seated in the house. 21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you.” 23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” 24 Martha said to him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”


Because of Jesus, I live.  Because of Jesus, my son lives.  Because of Jesus, Malachi is no longer suffering in a hospital bed.  Because of Jesus, Malachi is ALIVE! Because of Jesus, I have hope.  Because of Jesus, I can know without a doubt what lies for me beyond this weary earth.  Because of Jesus.  

He is the Resurrection and the Life.  Martha was certain that she would see her brother, Lazarus, "on the last day."  Jesus was quick to correct her.  The resurrection wasn't a day, time, or place.  The resurrection was a person.  The Resurrection is Jesus.  Because of Him, we can truly live.


From our vantage point, Malachi died.  He was taken from us.  How short-sighted we are!  We are so caught up in our day-to-day lives here in this stage, we are quick to forget that our souls are eternal.  It's not over when we die.  We will exist forever.  It's up to us to choose life. 


Christ says--in His own words--to Martha then and to each of us now:


Everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. 

Do you believe this?




No comments:

Post a Comment