Saturday, December 1, 2012

Unintentional blasphemy

So it's that time of year again.  The Christmas tree is about to be set up and decorated, the stockings will be hung, and the kids' nativity set will be brought out to be played with once again.  I'm bracing myself for where I might find our Baby Jesus and what kind of trouble the wisemen might be up to.  We haven't gotten there quite yet, but there is one phrase I've heard a lot the last week or so...

Emma keeps describing Jesus as our "sented Savior"...

but I keep hearing "scented Savior" and my mind automatically jumps to my favorite candle aromas!

But seriously, what did it smell like at the manger scene?  It definitely wasn't pumpkin spice or vanilla caramel latte scented.  It's easy to read the pages of Scripture and to trace the words of Jesus' birth without really putting ourselves there.  Jesus, the creator of all things, was born as a baby.  And not only was He born, but there were no sterile instruments, clean floors, or flat-screen TVs (thanks IU-West!).  It was a stable.  It was dirty and stinky and no televised distractions for Mary.  The closest comparison I can come up with in my mind is a petting zoo.  I can't even begin to fathom leaving (willingly!) the glories of Heaven to take is first breath on earth in a stable.  There are no other kings who would be willing to do this for an undeserving people.

Thank you, Jesus.  Thank you for being a redeeming God--one who can take a phrase like the "scented Savior" and give it an entirely new meaning, a meaning that points to You and Your glory.  Help John and I as we seek to honor and glorify You this season especially as we feebly attempt to point our children to You in all the materialism our world calls christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment