by John C. Maxwell
About the Book
Most people John Maxwell encounters have a dream. In fact, he’s asked thousands about their greatest aspirations. Some describe their dream with great enthusiasm and detail. Others are reluctant, almost embarrassed, to talk about it. Regardless of their zeal or fear, the same question drives every person with a dream: Can I achieve it?
Sadly, most people have no idea how viable their dream is. They hope to achieve it, yet hope is not a strategy. What people need is a way to test their dream.
In Put Your Dream to the Test, Maxwell brings the subject of a personal dream down to earth. He gives readers practical and powerful direction for their lives by leading them through ten questions that will help them create a clear and compelling pathway to their dream.
I liked the idea of this book. So often, we skip ahead try to put steps in place to pursue a dream and putting a plan together to make it all come to fruition. And I agree that in reality we need to take a step back and really dissect the dream and see if it's really even worth pursuing. Is my dream realistic? In 10 chapters, Dr. Maxwell examines 10 questions:
1. The Ownership Question: Is my dream really my dream?
2. The Clarity Question: Do I clearly see my dream?
3. The Reality Question: Am I depending on factors within my control to achieve my dream?
4. The Passion Question: Does my dream compel me to follow it?
5. The Pathway Question: Do I have a strategy to reach my dream?
6. The People Question: Have I included the people I need to realize my dream?
7. The Cost Question: Am I willing to pay the price for my dream?
8. The Tenacity Question: Am I moving closer to my dream?
9. The Fulfillment Question: Does working toward my dream bring satisfaction?
10. The Significance Question: Does my dream benefit others?
For what it's worth, this book definitely was of interest to me solely because John and I have a VERY big dream. I would have appreciated a more God-centered focus coming from a Christian leadership authority. I would recommend the book Rescuing Ambition by Dave Harvey.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”