Friday, December 10, 2010

Book Recommendations

Experienced a great loss? Know someone who has?

Recently, I have read these books through tears and tissues and would highly recommend them to anyone who would like insight on what the past 2-1/2 years, but more specifically the last almost 7 months have been like for me.  I was able to very directly relate to these authors and their lives by what we have experienced in the last 2-1/2 years through miscarriage, hospital life, disability, burying our baby, and the ensuing grief.

Safe in the Arms of God  (John MacArthur)
Biblically based assurance that I will see my babies when I join them in heaven.

A Different Dream for My Child by Jolene Philo
Meditations for Parents of Critically or Chronically Ill Children

How to Help a Grieving Friend by Stephanie Grace Whitson
More info regarding this book HERE.

Choosing to SEE by Mary Beth Chapman
A fellow mom who experienced both miscarriage and the death of a child.

Holding on to Hope by Nancy Guthrie
Another mom's journey through grief after losing two children--each 6 months of age (like Chi).

5 comments:

  1. i'm going to be looking for some of these at the library, especially the macarthur one and the chapman one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendations. A few books to add to my Christmas list! I had heard of the Chapman book, and wish I could've seen them when they were here for "A Night with the Chapman's" tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgive my boldness, but did YOU ever think about writing your story, or compiling what you have written, to help others? Don't answer too quickly. :)

    You do have a special story.

    I recently drafted a "sketch"of my story, work that may not be done for years. Apart from the people touched (those you don't know, to those who live with you), I believe there is great value in seeing our own story by looking from the "outside-in".

    Wouldn't you agree such writing clarifies and "cauterizes the wounds" as His means of grace?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad, John and I were recently discussing that very same thing. Even if the Lord doesn't lead us to publish our story (or compile this blog into an easier to read format) it would be a great way for us to continue to process the events that have unfolded in our short marriage and see in hindsight all the miracles God allowed us to witness--unfortunately, many have left my immediate recollection and I would be required to almost relive life with Malachi to see just how many there were. God proved himself faithful and good time and time again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marissa,

    First of all, my sympathies to your family in your deep loss. To not be able to wrap your arms around the child of your heart is a deep sorrow.

    Second, thank you for featuring my book on your blog. What a joy to know it ministered to your family. And thanks for the other books on the list. I look forward to checking them out soon and perhaps including them as resources in my next book, "Different Dream Parenting: A Practical Guide to Raising a Child with Special Needs," which will be published by Discovery House.

    You are in my prayers,
    Jolene Philo

    ReplyDelete