Tuesday, March 5, 2013

E100 7-God's Covenant with Abram

Genesis 15--God's Covenant with Abram

15:5 and following: And he brought him (a childless Abram) outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them. Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be." And he believed The Lord, and he counted it to him as righteousness.

At first glance, I look at this and I'm awed at Abram's faith. Abram here knew full-well that it would require him in his old age (85-ish) to have a child with his wife (75-ish). A baby!

On the days where I'm transfixed on my Savior, this is the faith I'm granted. (I've already got Christ's righteousness)

But it's interesting, as I read further in the Bible. It seems like Abrams faith isn't quite as steadfast as it appears first glance. He lets his wife convince him that he should have sex with her servant.

God doesn't dismiss Abram, instead God stays faithful and God stays true to His Word.

Genesis 17... When Abram was NINETY-NINE YEARS OLD...

This was fourteen years after he had a child with his wife's servant. Fourteen years of waiting for Sarah to get pregnant. Fourteen years of more wondering and doubting. Fourteen years before God said...
"Behold, my covenant is with you, and you shall be the father of a multitude of nations..."

God is a covenant God. What He says, He means. What He says He'll do, He does.

No matter the circumstances. No matter my failures. No matter my doubts. My God clings to me when I have no strength to continue to cling to Him.

John and I stayed faithful to each other and to our God while Malachi was in the hospital not because we are strong and righteous, but rather because our God is strong and righteous and faithful and true to His Word. Because He has made a covenant with His people.

Do you serve the God of the Bible? The faithful, covenant-keeping God of Scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment