Thursday, August 25, 2011

Psalm 18: Word of God, Speak.

 God was so gracious to me the other day.  I have been struggling with grief surrounding Malachi's death the last few days.  One of the other coaches asked me if there are certain "triggers."  Usually, yes, but at that time I couldn't quite pinpoint anything TOO specific.  I mean, yes, the 25th is just around the corner and yes, friends of ours with CHARGE kiddos are making great strides (preschool, signing, etc.) leaving us to wonder where Chi might be developmentally and all that if he were still with us.  


We've been going through the "Becoming a Woman of Excellence" study with our volleyball girls and Tuesday we took the time at the beginning of practice for that study.  It "just so happened" that only the first page of Coach Henry's lesson made it to practice, but the Holy Spirit was quick to fill in the gaps.  She talked to the girls about Job.  I love that God brought to mind the portion of Pastor Jeff's sermon at Malachi's funeral in which Job receives from God twice the material blessings as he had before Satan was allowed to take them all away--including his ten children.  In the very last chapter of Job we read that God have him ten more children (not 20, like some would expect).  See in God's eyes, by giving Job ten children at the end of the story, his blessing with regard to children HAD been doubled--totaling 20.


After our lesson, we broke off individually and I don't really know what the other girls did, but I went to the Psalms.  A guy I went to high school with who had recently been saved posted a verse on facebook and I could have sworn it was Psalm 18.  So that's where I headed.  I couldn't find the passage I was looking for, but God illuminated this chapter in a way that Scripture never has to me before.  It was simply God at work...


 1 I love you, O LORD, my strength.  2 The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. 3 I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies. 4 The cords of death encompassed me; the torrents of destruction assailed me; 5 the cords of Sheol entangled me; the snares of death confronted me. 6 In my distress I called upon the LORD; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears.  

[There was an earthquake this day] 7 Then the earth reeled and rocked; the foundations also of the mountains trembled and quaked, because he was angry.... 13 The LORD also thundered in the heavens, [it began storming at the moment we broke off separately] and the Most High uttered his voice, hailstones and coals of fire...he flashed forth lightnings and routed them...19 He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me. 20 The LORD dealt with me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands he rewarded me. 21 For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. 22 For all his rules were before me, and his statutes I did not put away from me. 23 I was blameless before him, and I kept myself from my guilt. 24 So the LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight. 25 With the merciful you show yourself merciful; with the blameless man you show yourself blameless; 26 with the purified you show yourself pure; and with the crooked you make yourself seem tortuous. 27 [a challenge] For you save a humble people, but the haughty eyes you bring down. 28 For it is you who light my lamp; the LORD my God lightens my darkness. 29 For by you I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall. 30 This God--his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him. 31 For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God?-- 32 the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless. 33 He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights. 34 He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. 35 You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great. 36 You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip... 39 For you equipped me with strength for the battle; you made those who rise against me sink under me... 46 The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be the God of my salvation--... 49 For this I will praise you, O LORD, among the nations, and sing to your name...


For those of you who have made it this far.  The verse Josh had posted was actually Psalm 16:8.  A much needed reminder...
 I keep my eyes always on the LORD.
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting such a great passage. Love it, and thank you for continuing to share your journey. It is funny how sometimes there are no triggers as to why emotions flood in, but I take comfort in thinking it is because love is so powerful reason cannot show us.

    ReplyDelete