Wednesday, October 22, 2008

convicted, disheartened, yet thankful

The Holy Spirit really hit me hard during the music portion of our worship service on Sunday morning. I didn't put a whole lot of effort into the organization of this, so bear with me...


Convicted because I realized I had just been reading/singing the words of the hymns, not truly singing praises to the God who saved me.


Convicted because family was in town and not once did I share even a morsel of the work He had done, is doing, and will continue to do within me and my life.


Convicted because I have not considered God's Word as precious as it truly is.


Convicted because I was more concerned with what I was going to wear to church that morning than preparing my heart for the service.

I was disheartened because as I was being convicted of all the above, I looked around the church. There were so many with just blank stares on their face while reciting words along with the music, completely oblivious to what they were actually saying. How often is this the case in our local churches and no wonder the world doesn't want to devote their lives to Christ when this is the first impression they receive when they step inside the church. (Note: This is not to say that the Holy Spirit is not alive and well in our local church--if it wasn't I would not have come to many of these realizations and would have been content to go on with my morning without a change of heart).

But, I am thankful.

I am thankful because God is not done with me yet.

Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 1:6

I am thankful because it is God who works in me when I am faithful to obey His Word.

For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
Philippians 2:13

I am thankful that God has provided us with a local Bible-based church in which we can gather, worship, serve, and encourage fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment